Wednesday, July 30, 2014

BBC "Top Gear" Radio Show 20

On November 17 1964, The Beatles entered the Playhouse Theater in London England in order to record a BBC radio show. This was mainly to promote the new LP and single which were to be released shortly after the broadcast (which was transmitted on November 26 1964. The host for this "Top Gear" show was none other than Brian Matthew.
On this show, both side of the new single were performed as well as some of the LP tracks: The show starts with the original composition "I'm A Loser" (written mainly by John) and then a Carl Perkins cover is performed "Honey Don't" (sung by Ringo). This is followed by the B-side of their upcoming single - "She's A Woman" (written mainly and quickly by Paul). Following this is another Carl Perkins cover entitled "Everybody's Trying to be My Baby" (sung by George). The original composition "I'll Follow The Sun" (written mainly by Paul) is then performed and they finish with the A-side of the upcoming single "I Feel Fine" (written mainly by John).
There are various audio clips of the show available: The vinyl bootleg "Broadcast" has "I'm A Loser", "She's A Woman", "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby", "I'll Follow The Sun" and "I Feel Fine". The vinyl bootleg "Beatles At the Beeb, Volume 12" has the entire show as does CD number 09 of the "Complete BBC Sessions" Great Dane CD box set.
The Apple 2-LP (3-LP for the 2013 remasters)/ 2-CD "Live At The BBC" commercially contains: "I'm A Loser", "She's A Woman", "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby" and "I Feel Fine". Some of the chat from this show is also included on the first track. The Apple 3-LP/ 2-CD "On Air - Live At The BBC Volume 2" contains "Honey Don't" and "I'll Follow The Sun" from this particular broadcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment